Carolina cradle : settlement of the northwest Carolina frontier, 1747-1762 / Robert W. Ramsey.
- OCLC: ocn870994526
- ISBN: 9781469616797 (electronic bk.)
- ISBN: 1469616793 (electronic bk.)
- ISBN: 9781469616803 (electronic bk.)
- ISBN: 1469616807 (electronic bk.)
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (xiii, 251 pages) : facsimile, maps
- Published: Chapel Hill :University of North Carolina Press,1987.
- Publisher: University of North Carolina Press, 1987.
- Copyright: ©1964
|Note:|| Reprint. Originally published: ©1964.
|Bibliography:|| Includes bibliographical references pages (219-238) and index.
|Contents:|| The setting -- General causes of the southward migration -- The first settlements, 1747-1751 -- Growth of the western settlement, 1750-1751 --March 25, 1752 -- In the forks of the Hadkin, 1752-1762 -- The Germans of the present Rowan County -- The western settlements, 1752-1762 -- The trading camp settlement, 1750-1762 -- Growth of the Irish settlement, 1752-1762 -- Quakers and baptists of the northwest frontier -- The Scotch-Irish migration -- The German migration -- Establishment of Salisbury -- The economic order -- Life of the people -- French and Indian war -- Conclusion.
|Summary:|| Describes the "invasion" of emigrant families into the area and their socio-economic and religious reasons for migrating during the period. A #87-442 Gift-Friends of the Genealogy Collection.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Rowan County (N.C.) > History.
Land settlement > North Carolina > Rowan County.
Migration, Internal > United States.
0 current holds with 0 total copies.